Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cinnamon Hazelnut Biscotti

It's been a while, hasn't it? I've been so busy with school and college apps....but I'm back!!! Even though I haven't been blogging recently, I still have been baking and cooking every chance I got. Recently I've been experimenting new recipes and I came across a recipe for cinnamon hazelnut biscotti.

I don't know why, but I've always been afraid of making biscotti. They just seemed like they would crumble and I would over bake them. So going into this, I had no idea what the outcome would be. But when they came out absolutely perfectly, I knew that there was no reason to be afraid of making biscotti anymore.




What I like about this recipe is that it's beyond simple. There a just a few ingredients but they pack a lot of flavor. The cinnamon really adds a nice aroma to the cookie and the scent that fills the air is heavenly. Trust me on this, you won't regret making this cookie. This will definitely be a recipe that you will use over and over.

On with the recipe!

Cinnamon Hazelnut Biscotti

makes 30 cookies
ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hazelnuts, skinned
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.  

In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. While the eggs are beating, in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Once the eggs have incorporated into the butter/sugar mixture, mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Don't over beat. Stir in the hazelnuts. 

When all the ingredients are fully incorporated, shape the dough into two equal logs approximately 12 inches long. Place logs on baking sheet, and flatten out to about 1/2 inch thickness.  

Bake for about 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are golden and the center is firm. Remove from oven to cool on the pans. When loaves are cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to slice the loaves diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Return the slices to the baking sheet. 

Bake for an additional 10 minutes, turning over once. Cool completely.

While the cookies are cooling, melt the chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave. Once the chocolate is melted, spoon it over the cookies using a swinging motion.


I was so pleasantly surprised when they came out looking absolutely beautiful. My parents told me they found these to be the best biscottis they had ever eaten. They weren't overly sweet and the chocolate drizzle added just the perfect touch. I really do hope you try this recipe out. It's worth the time and effort.

Happy Baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment