Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Chip Brownie Mix

Finally, I can check something off of my baking bucket list: homemade brownie mix. I've always wanted to make my own mix, just like Duncan Hines or Pillsbury. It just so happened to be my friend's birthday, so I thought that to be the perfect opportunity. It turns out that making a mix is just as easily done as it is said. At first I thought that maybe there might be some technical problems with the order of the ingredients, but I encountered no problems when I made a test batch. 


One thing I love about this mix is not only does it make for a great gift, but it also yields killer brownies. I kid you not-these are the best brownies I have ever made. Please, make these. It'll be the best decision you make all day. I have never been one to enjoy extremely gooey brownies. I always found the texture to be unpleasant. My kind of brownie is a chewy and somewhat denser brownie. These brownies are just that. To increase the chocolate flavor, I recommend using extra dark cocoa powder, not Nestle and definitely not Hershey's. 


As you can see in the photos, there are six layers. Originally there would be four layers but in order to increase aesthetic appeal, I split the cocoa powder and sugar in two. This created two layers of both instead of one thick and boring layer of sugar and one of cocoa powder. What's great about giving this as a gift is that it only requires three more simple ingredients to make    D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S brownies: eggs, butter and vanilla. I cannot express enough just how good these brownies are. They are so chewy and chocolatey and wonderful all around. 

Recipe Review: 

Taste: So chocolatey. It isn't overly sweet which is really nice. The overall flavor you get is a good quality chocolate. 
Texture: Chewy and soft. Not loose and fudgy, which is something I fear most in brownies. It is very moist despite its lack of undercooked qualities that most brownies possess. 
Level of difficulty: Easiest brownie recipe ever. 
Appearance: There is a slight shine on the top, but not as much as I would like. However, it does not crumble every where. It definitely holds its shape. 


Chocolate Chip Brownies
makes 24 brownies 

ingredients:
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
directions:

Start with a glass jar that has been properly sterilized. You can find instructions here.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Carefully layer that mixture on the bottom of the jar. Lightly tap the jar in order to level the ingredients. 

Next, sift the cocoa powder and the sugar in different bowls. Layer them alternately: 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 cup sugar. Be sure to level them after layering. Also, after layering the cocoa powder, use a damp paper towel to wipe the insides of the jar. 

Lastly, layer the chocolate chips until it reaches the top. The amount of chips might vary depending on how large your jar is. Give the jar one last tap and seal tightly. 


Final assembly:

Attach a tag or print a sticker on your computer with the following instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees °F.
2. Grease and flour a 9x13inch baking pan. 
3. Empty jar of brownie mix into a large mixing bowl, and whisk slightly. Mix in 1 cup melted butter3 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly. 
4. Spread the batter evenly into prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 


So there you have it, brownie mix in a jar. As you can see, it's extremely simple and is a great gift for friends and family alike. Hopefully you give it a try and hopefully you LOVE it! One last note, I made the sticker on the front of the jar on Jam Labelizer. It's super easy and free for all users. Give it a try! 

As always, Happy Baking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment